The towns which used to belong to Bohemian queens, the so-called royal dowry towns (namely Hradec Králové, Chrudim, Vysoké Mýto, Polička, Jaroměř, Dvůr Králové, Trutnov, Nový Bydžov, and Mělník), pertain to a specific category among Bohemian historic towns in many respects. With the exception of Mělník, they create a specific geographical enclave in the east of Bohemia. The institution of dowry towns started to be created in the early 14th century and underwent a complex development.
The dowry towns became the source of income for the queens, and medieval Hradec Králové and Mělník became a temporal seat for some of them. The de iure institution of the dowry towns ceased to exist as late as 1918. Reflexions of their historic charisma were revived in the 19th century during the National Revival Movement and they have been living as one of the aspects of identity of these towns in relation to other towns and cities of the Czech Republic. Financed from the programme to support applied research and experimental development of the national and cultural identity.